Skip to main content

Atlantic Brass Quintet Seminar Performances

From July 21st through August 2nd of this year, I studied with the Atlantic Brass Quintet at their Seminar, hosted at Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin. During the seminar, I was placed in a quintet and assigned different pieces of standard quintet repertoire to read, rehearse, and perform. Each week, the quintet was coached for 4 hours a day, each hour with a different coach from the quintet or its colleagues. The coaches focused on musical interpretation, instrumental technique, and chamber musicianship. Each coach approached the repertoire from a different perspective and drew different ideas out of the quintet's playing. The coachings and rehearsals culminated with a student recital on Friday, where the groups at the seminar performed their pieces.
I'm proud of the performances I was a part of - the Braeburn Brass put together Plog's Four Sketches during week 1, and Shane Endsley's Declamatory Ascent for week 2.

Before the student recitals, on Thursday nights, the Atlantic Brass Quintet gave their own recital. The first week featured various arrangements by Jeff Luke, associate principal trumpet of the Utah Symphony, as well as an arrangement of Ives' Variations on America. My favorite performance from their week one recital was Jan Bach's Laudes which we studied in Advanced Brass Ensemble Literature this past Spring semester. During the week, I attended ABQ's open rehearsals and got to observe them rehearsing the piece, which they had obviously performed together beforehand. Their performance was gripping, and it was interesting to see the culmination of their rehearsals throughout the week. Of course, in a group of professional musicians, they were marking in cues and ideas, but their rehearsal technique of "Yes, and..." really struck me. Picking up an idea and immediately trying it by playing it led to quick musical decisions, made without extensive debate - one of the members said that you'll know pretty much as soon as you play which musical idea works best. Another rehearsal technique which stuck with me was the quintet's emphatic and musical singing. While rehearsing Laudes, the quintet committed to singing like they were going to play, which ironed out complex rhythms and reinforced musical ideas that the group wanted to execute.
ABQ's recital week 2 featured a wide variety of different styles of composition, from a Bach arrangement to Tom Waits' What's He Building?.
Here on Truba Talk, it would be remiss of me to fail to mention the Balkan brass section of the week 2 recital. A few pieces I was familiar with were featured, and I couldn't help but bounce in my seat. But my personal favorite was a piece I'd never heard before: SAT, or Time. The above recording features the Boban Markovik Orkestar performing, but the ABQ performance blew it out of the water, with incredibly exaggerated dynamics and some nasty scoops in the bassline. Their arrangement went from pianissimo on the sustained chorale sections to a triple-forte on the (forgive my solfege) me-ra-do interjections, and it was just too much fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

High-Energy Nonsense and Reflection

This post is a little more emotional than any of my other blogs. As I finish this semester, the last bits of coursework of my Master's degree stretching out before me, I've got a lot of feelings going around. Putting it frankly, 2019 and 2020 have been ridiculous years. My dad was suffering all of Spring 2019 and died last April, and this March we saw the beginning of the US wave of a global pandemic. I know we all have our struggles and face hardships, but sometimes I don't know how I've been able to do it. I'm just glad that I have. I was diagnosed with depression in 2014, and correctly diagnosed with bipolar disorder type 2 sometime in 2016. Getting my undergrad and first grad degrees have without a doubt been the toughest years of my life, and it's hard not to reflect on all that as this degree is coming to a close. I've learned a lot about being a musician, being a decent human, and just kind of life over the past 5 years at Iowa. It's bee

Goran Bregovic & his Wedding and Funeral Orchestra

Above is a recording of Bregovic and his Wedding and Funeral Orchestra playing two of their classics, Bella Ciao and Kalashnikov at the 2012 Sziget (Island) festival in Budapest, Hungary. Goran Bregovic, born in 1950, is a Yugoslavian musician with many credits to his name. He's recorded and performed with a number of ensembles, such as his above Wedding and Funeral Orchestra, as well as Kodeksi and Jutro, two bands he participated in during his youth in Naples and Sarajevo. Bijelo Dugme was his main musical gig for a while, but I have him on Trubatalk here because of his involvement with Emir Kusturica on the 1995 film Underground , winner of the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival, and because he has a massive output of Balkan Brass music deep in the Youtube algorithm. While this sits somewhat off the beaten path of Balkan Brass, I cannot recommend Underground enough. Make sure you're ready to watch it, and do your reading on it beforehand - it's a fairly dark

Balkan Brass Discography

This embedded video is the entirety of my Balkan Brass playlist on YouTube. It's a continuously updated playlist of absolutely everything I can find Balkan Brass related! After all is said and done, I won't be surprised if this playlist has hundreds of videos. !